Thursday, June 19, 2008

Chaos Starts

Little Boy Blue, come blow your horn.
The sheep's in the meadow, the cow's in the corn.
Where is the boy that looks after the sheep?
"He's under the haycock, fast asleep."
Will you wake him? "No, not I;
For if I do, he'll be sure to cry."


Little Meggie Liz, come get your broom
There are boxes everywhere, and an armchair in the dining room.
Where is the London Shrine that makes Meggie smile?
"It's packed with the Snoopy stuff--has been for a while."
Is this chaotic? "Oh, yes, it is truly;
This apartment of Meggie Liz is looking quite unruly."

I have a matching living room set--a chair, a love seat, and an ottoman. The love seat and ottoman (my primary instruments for TV-watching) are still in their places; however, the chair's usual spot has been taken over by three boxes of Snoopy stuff, two wardrobe boxes, four boxes of books, a folded up baker's rack, and, in there somewhere, my London shrine.

The corner once occupied by the baker's rack is now occupied by the chair from the living room. That this happens to be my dining room seems a little bit odd, but hey, it works for now. Better than having the chair in front of the hutch, where I keep my DVDs.

The packing has begun in earnest, and the apartment is starting to look a little bit sparse for my tastes. Next week the pictures will come down, the remaining knick-knacks will be packed, and it will feel very empty and basic in here. Moving day is Sunday the 29th.

When I'm not packing, weeding stuff for Goodwill, or counting Snoopy socks, I'm watching movies (currently Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring) and doing odd stuff around the apartment. Yesterday, I swept a month's worth of dust and debris off the patio. The Delta Breeze that is so loved in Sacramento on hot days starts here in the Delta as more of a gale than a breeze. I had all kinds of dust, dirt, bird seed and even one little thing that looked suspiciously like animal poop (ew!). It's all been swept away, and my patio looks pretty good for a change.

So far I've taken a couple of loads to Goodwill and sold 70+ items on eBay. I've called the utilities to make sure everything is shut off on June 30. I've gone through every drawer and cabinet in the place, and vacuumed the living room twice this week.

Give me a day or so more of this, and I'll be ready for some action. Fortunately, I'm getting two BIG, BUSY days in a row. On Saturday, I'm showing Jamie and Tiff (from the NASCAR board) around San Francisco, and on Sunday, we're going to the NASCAR race in Sonoma. Woohoo!! I'm so excited.

No comments: