Thursday, January 24, 2008

Strange

My grandmother has been very ill lately. Just before Christmas, she started to decline, and this last week, she has been showing signs that her body is shutting down. As of today, she is being put on hospice care.

While it's sad, I have had time to get used to the idea, so I am actually feeling quite okay--to be honest, I hope her suffering ends soon, so she can be in peace. Let's face it, Grandma is 90 years old and she's very, very ill. No one wants to see a family member suffering like that.

Anyway, I am faced with the prospect that any day now, I could find myself on an airplane to Salt Lake City, going to her funeral.

In my job, I can't just stop and take a break--I have to make sure that everything is in place for a sub to come in and teach my classes. Being a music teacher, it's harder, because most subs don't have a musical background. So often, I leave readings and crossword puzzles for my kids, and hope they're polite.

So I am working on sub plans this afternoon, so that I have something to leave when Grandma passes on and I have to quickly leave town for her services. It seems a little bit morbid, planning for the death of my grandmother, but we do know it's coming, and I do need to have some kind of plan in place, for the sake of my kids.

I've even gone so far as letting the secretary know what's going on, so I can leave the lessons in her capable hands. I feel so responsible, so organized...

So morbid.

No comments: