Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Domestic Goddess Strikes Again

Today I have baked 80 miniature cookies (okay, okay, they're the pre-cut dough kind by Duncan Hines) and I've made a huge pot of potato leek soup. I have a quiche in the oven (breakfast for the week) and two dozen gingerbread cookies (again, the pre-made dough) waiting their turn.

Why the baking craze? Well, it's Goodies Week. All the teachers in my house will take turns bringing in goodies on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Tuesday is my day (we're going alphabetically by last name). In addition to all the cookies, I want to make a loaf of cranberry-orange bread, and I bought Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses.

Channelling my inner Martha, I made cute little DV Teacher Survival Kit tags for my colleagues and attached them to M&Ms packets. The tags instruct the recipient to eat one brown for having tons of grading, one orange for confiscating cell phones, etc. At the bottom it says, "If symptoms persist, eat the whole bag."

I'm loving my weekend! Yesterday I got my hair done in a sassy new hue--blonde highlights and copper lowlights. It's very bright and different, but I like it. After the hair appointment, I came home and cleaned my apartment from top to bottom. Today I have been getting some stuff done for school, relaxing, and, of course, baking.

This week promises to be busy. I have a follow-up appointment with the psychologist I met last month, a holiday concert to put on, packing to do for my Christmas trip to Mom and Dad's, one more elementary school to visit, and other assorted things. My Christmas shopping and wrapping is, fortunately, all done, though I need to mail the gifts I bought Aaron, Susanne, and their kids.

Now, I have to give a quick shout-out to Heather and Arturo: Many congratulations on your engagement!! Arturo, you have picked a winner in Heather. May you have a long, happy life together, and you can be sure that when you eventually have your little Sean Juan or Bailey Cuervo (!), Auntie Meg will provide the first Snoopy toy.

Well, the quiche should be done soon, and I have cookies to bake, a bread mix to whip up, and a kitchen to wipe down. I'm feeling very domestic and goddess-like already.

No comments: