Tuesday, November 13, 2007

It Does Get Better...

Today is a good day.

I feel like I'm making some big progress with my anxiety and depression. I know myself well enough to understand the signs, and I can honestly say I feel better. I'm still struggling a little bit, but I'm better.

I spent Veteran's Day weekend at Mom and Dad's, and even they noticed the difference. I woke up on Saturday morning unrefreshed and tired. I actually went back to bed a couple of times. Once I was up, I was still tired, and though I tried, I wasn't my usual cheery self. That afternoon, I had a two-hour nap on the sofa.

I wouldn't say I was unpleasant company; I was just tired and blah.

I woke up Sunday morning feeling like a different person. I was alert, awake, and cheerier. I didn't crawl back into bed, or need an afternoon nap. Even Mom and Dad noticed the change.

Today was back to work--and I woke up feeling apprehensive. Not anxious, just apprehensive. I had a lot of phone calls to make today. I hate the phone. Loathe it. I'd been putting off these calls for too long, and the time had come to get them over with.

During my prep, I sat down with the phone and started going through my list. Then I organized my classroom a little bit, photocopied something for my department leader, and did a few other little things that needed to be done. I was productive, and it made me feel really good.

As I told my parents on the phone this evening (yeah, I don't mind talking to them on the phone), it's a process. I know there are good days and bad days, but I honestly feel like the higher prescription is kicking in and I'm making strides towards being myself again. Big strides.

Depression, you won't win.

P.S. A big shout-out to Michelle for the lovely Facebook message--you, too, are a good person, and your note made me smile. Also, a shout-out to Heather for the cute card. I have awesome friends!

No comments: