Sunday, August 27, 2006

What a Nice Weekend!

So, I'm in Lincoln. I didn't tell anyone I was coming, except, of course, Mom and Dad.

So, here's the last few days...

Thursday: Clean Desk and Relax

So Thursday, I had all these grand plans to go to my classroom and do a bunch of the "dirty work." I did end up washing off my desk, and making not one but TWO rags completely filthy. The dust on that thing was insane! My predecessor was a hell of a choir teacher, but she was not known for neat freak tendencies. She even admitted this to me. Well, this school as a Neat Freak Choir Teacher incoming. I can't help it.

Anyway, I did that, then, having a noseful of dust and some serious abdominal cramps (sorry, male readers), I went home to eat a crappy lunch and sit around in my pajamas. Good times!

I did rouse myself enough to run two loads of laundry and a huge load of dishes, get them all put away, and have a nice, therapeutic shower. I also managed to pack most of the things I would need this weekend, except, of course, my toiletries, which I threw in a carry case in the morning.

At 9:00 I was in bed, with lights out, drifting into a nice sleep. Friday would be a busy day.

Friday: And So It Starts

Friday was my first official day on the job--a new teacher orientation for the whole district. Somewhere between 80 and 100 teachers gathered at my school to meet the district office staff, get important information about payroll, benefits, how to log onto our district email (particularly useful!) and, most importantly, to network. I met several people who will be at my school with me, including a new drama teacher I will be working with from time to time.

I had rather expected the orientation to be all about classroom management techniques and other stuff I've sat through time and again in my career, but it turned out to be the best organized and most informative staff development type day I've ever gone to. Actually, I've never had an orientation to a new school that was so comprehensive and useful. Normally I've had to run around finding answers by myself, but here, they presented everything we would need to know.

The best part, however, was that several times throughout the day I heard people say, "Our job is to make your job run smoother and to help you when you need it. That is what we are here to do."

Heartening!

Friday Afternoon: Well, That Was a Bad Idea

The orientation finished at 3:00. I dashed out to my car, which already held my small suitcase and toiletry kit, threw my briefcase in the trunk, and drove the mile-and-a-half home. Once there, I checked my mail box, used the loo, grabbed Millie and put her in her carrier box, and dashed back out to the car. By 3:18, I was backing out of my parking spot, ready to go.

I should have known better, I really should have. I'm in the east bay area now, where traffic is a nightmare. Getting from my apartment to Highway 4 took almost a half hour (ridiculous). Highway 4 wasn't too bad until I got to Antioch Bridge, where I had to stop and pay a toll. Long lines, but it moved quickly enough.

So now I'm on Highway 160, where the speed limit is 55, and the train of cars I've just joined is going about 45-50 on average. No problem. I settled in a few car lengths behind the guy in front of me, cranked up the music, and...promptly had some jerk on my tail. Gah!

Yes, dude, let me just speed up to 80 mph and cram into the guy in front of me so you can go faster. Noooooo problem.

Anyway, it stayed like this for the entire time I was on 160 (maybe 10-15 miles) and the entire time I was on Highway 12 (about 20 miles, maybe?). I finally merged onto I-5, and things went pretty smoothly for, oh, 20 minutes.

At the southern edge of Sacramento, things slowed down to a near-stop. And stayed that way all the way to the northern edge of Sacramento and beyond. Things weren't much better on I-80 up to Lincoln. By the time I pulled Rosie Protege into Mom and Dad's driveway, it was 6:08.

Yes, my friends, it's true. What normally takes me an hour and forty-five minutes (give or take 10-15 minutes depending on time of day and traffic) took me just under three hours.

Next time, I'm leaving later in the day.

The Weekend: Just What I Needed

Okay, now the reason I came home without telling anyone: I'm not in a social mood. No offense to anyone, but what I really needed was a couple nights hanging out with Mom and Dad and the Cooper kitties.

When I pulled into Mom and Dad's, they came out to help me bring my stuff and Millie in. First thing Mom said was, "Hey, Millie! Are you okay? Oh, you poor baby. Hi, Meg. Oh, there's Gran's Girl! I missed my Millie Joyful!"

I wearily climbed from the car, the question, "What's for dinner?" poised on my tongue when Mom uttered the most magical words:

"Dad's taking us to Applebee's."

Oh, the bliss. I had steak and mashed potatoes. It was wonderful.

The rest of the weekend has been relaxing. Mom and I watched the Bogart/Hepburn/Holden version of Sabrina on Friday night, and yesterday we went to the scrapbook store and the book store. Last night we watched the NASCAR race from Bristol. I'm proud to report that Dale Jr. finished 3rd, and his crew was on fire with their pit stops and strategy.

I stayed up very late reading a new book, then slept in this morning. It's now 1:00, and I'm aiming to leave at about 3:00.

Monday: New Adventure, Wild and Absolutely True

Would you expect anything less? : )

Tomorrow all new teachers at my campus will meet with the principal for an hour or so, then be turned over to some mentor teachers who will show us around the massive campus and tell us where to find things we may need. I'm looking forward to getting to know my new colleagues.

Tuesday is the first day back for the rest of the teachers, and we have classroom time, staff development, and all that jazz this week. A week from Tuesday is the first day of school. So soon!

Bring it on.

Cheers,

Meg

No comments: