Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Looks Like Anything Goes...

Greetings from the east bay area...I hadn't updated in a few days and thought I'd let everyone know what I've been up to.

Jazz Hands!

Let's face it, one of the things I have been a little bit worried about with this new job is the whole concept of Show Choir. I've never participated in a show choir, or taught it. I've always been a little bit wary of it, especially because the mere mention of the words "show choir" can make Summer wave her hands in the air and exclaim, "Jazz Hands!!" like a character on Saturday Night Live.

Let's face it, many musicians find show choirs a bit...cheesy. And when you add the fact that I have two left feet and some serious dance issues, well...I've been nervous. And thinking, "Hmm...maybe I could sort of turn Show Choir into...Jazz Choir." If the dance is left to me, the kids will be shuffling their feet, shaking their booties, and not much else.

But change does not happen overnight, especially when you're working with kids and needing to be sensitive to the fact that they auditioned for Show Choir at the end of last year. That's what they're expecting. And that's what they'll get. The good news is that I have found a show arrangement that I can stand, and that's Cole Porter's "Anything Goes." The even better news is that Mrs. Principal has told me to put in a P.O. for it, so I don't have to wait to see what my budget is going to be.

The best news of all is that the school's dance teacher usually helps with choreography.

Miss Cooper's Domain

It's getting there. I've spent some time in my room this week, cleaning a bit and putting some of my personal things in there--various posters, etc. I have a couple of framed pictures I like to keep on my desk and whatnot.

I've also been looking at my music library--and realizing, with some dread, that there are waaaaayy too many photocopies and I really will need to go through and get rid of them to avoid being caught and fined $20,000. Yeah. Fortunately, the library's not too huge, so it won't be too hard. I want to organize it, anyway.

I've found some music that might be appropriate. The thing is, until I meet my groups and hear for myself what they are capable of, I don't know what they'll be able to do. As I told the band teacher yesterday, "I could ask Mrs. H., but...well, I want to find out for myself!" He just smiled and said, "Of course you do!"

Speaking of the band teacher--he's been awesome. Yesterday I poked my head into his room to ask where I go to talk choir budget. He personally showed me and took me around to meet a couple of people I will need to know, like the lady who runs Student Accounts. Never mind that he's in the middle of marching band camp, he's been willing to help me out and chat with me. Support! It's a lovely thing.

Got Up and Went

My "get up and go," that is. I haven't been sleeping well the last few nights. I'm sure it's the many, many thoughts screaming through my head of late. After all, I start a new job on Friday, of course I'm nervous.

Anyway, it's made for some bum-dragging by day. I slept well enough last night, but still could not wake up this morning, and lay about until almost 9:00, unable to drag myself out of bed.

Monday night I tossed and turned until 2:30 in the morning! Gah! It was horrible. I know that as the first day of school gets closer, I'll be even more nervous...I'm going to up the workouts and try to eat really, really well, and pamper myself a bit with hot baths and at-home facials. Anything to keep myself relaxed.

Speaking of workouts--I didn't work out at all on Tuesday (I did a lot in my classroom and then came home and conked out on the sofa), but yesterday I did some swimming, which was great. I did a bunch of laps, really working my arms, then I did some water jogging, which I really felt in my calves. Hey, it's better than nothing...

And that's it, really. I've been busy by day and exhausted but sleepless by night. Friday is my first official day--an orientation for teachers who are new to the district. I look forward to meeting some colleagues and learning my way around. Monday it is back to the high school and full steam ahead.

Cheers,

Meg

No comments: