Sunday, July 02, 2006

Sunday in the Starbucks with Meg

I'm really missing the whole concept of perusing the internet while wearing my pajamas...

Two Weeks?

Yeah, only two weeks that I've been back. In some ways, it feels like I never really left. In other ways, I feel like I should be toting my passport everywhere I go. It's hard to explain, really. I seem to be settling right back into the whole California way of thinking and doing things, and yet, sometimes I pull back, look around and think, "And I thought England was different???"

Maybe it's the fact that I still refuse to ice my tea.

Did You Know...

...That the first two days of July mark the halfway point of the year? We are halfway through 2006 already--I can hardly believe it, really. At the dawn of this year, I had every intention of finding a teaching position somewhere closer to Seattle, thinking, perhaps, that I'd try to go back to England in 2007.

Six months later, I find myself back in California (never thought I'd be back for more than a visit here, a visit there) and thinking that perhaps England can wait--there's someting to be said for staying in one place for more than one year. I'm tired of moving!

Peter Pan Complex

When did I grow up? How is it, that without my even noticing, ten years have passed since I walked across the cow-patty-covered Dan Russell Rodeo Arena to accept my high school diploma? God, how young I was. Seventeen-going-on-eighteen, yet so naive and unworldly. When I compare where I thought I'd be to where I actually am, there are a lot of things that I haven't done...and so many more than I ever dreamed I would. I can tell you right now that 17-year-old Meg, proudly clutching her diploma, terrified to leave home for Chico that fall, never dreamed in a million years that living in England--twice!--would ever be a possibility. I can tell you that even the thought of obtaining a bachelor's degree seemed impossible. And yet here I am--I have made some of my biggest dreams come true.

Now, whether I want to brag about them all at my high school reunion this summer is another question entirely...

Speaking of Reunions

Yesterday I drove over to Folsom (first time I've been there since December 2004) to meet two old high school friends, Katie and Leslie, for lunch. I believe the last time I had seen Katie was sometime in 2002 (at Target, I think), and it had been even longer since I'd seen Leslie.

I knew these gals for years in school--since fourth grade--and was excited to see them again and meet their children. Just to catch up and see what's been going on in their lives.

And we owe the mini-reunion all to MySpace, where Katie and I discovered each other a few months ago. Good times.

Terror for the Terrible Two

Bella and Duchess did so well in this whole moving adventure, it really was only a matter of time before something freaked them out. The source of their terror came into our home on Wednesday, with the installation of our new ceiling fans.

Yes, ceiling fans.

I can sympathize, on some level. Imagine being a small cat, looking up to see the source of the breeze in the room and seeing six massive (comapred to your tiny feline body) blades spinning around on the ceiling.

Anyhow, for a day or two there, we didn't see much of the kindergatos as they hid beneath a hutch in Mom's craft room, behind several boxes, where no one could get to them. Any time we did coax them out, they would stare, wide-eyed, at the ceiling fans. Bella would shake from fear, so we decided it was best to leave them alone--they'll come out when they're hungry.

And sure enough, they've gotten over it, and are back to their normal selves--cuddling, socializing, running around the house, etc. We missed them!

Only problem now is that Dad moved the litter box yesterday, and Bella got confused this morning...

The More Things Change...

I mentioned earlier in this post that I returned to Folsom yesterday. It's not as different as I thought it would be, really--except seeing Light Rail breeze through. That was strange. I read in the Sacramento Bee a few days ago that Folsomites are whining about the "infrequency" of the trains--one every 30 minutes.

Hey, in Burnham-on-Crouch, the London-bound train came through every 60 minutes--I once ran across the rail bridge to see the train I wanted rolling away, and I had to wait an HOUR before I could catch the next one. And I never complained! I planned my trips to London around the BritRail timetable, and that's that.

How Does It Feel?

Going back to Folsom? It was strange, really, because I didn't feel all warm and fuzzy at seeing the place. Not like I did when I returned to London.

It got me thinking about all the times in the last couple of weeks that people have aksed me, "Oh, you've moved from Washington...how do you like California?" My immediate response is usually, "It's okay." I often get that half surprised, half offended look and quickly amend my answer with, "Well, I grew up here, so it's not all that exciting to me, really."

It's just funny to me how I've come to take California for granted. I'm excited to be near my friends again, I'm happy to be more familiar with the area (only one wrong turn in Folsom yesterday--ha!), but other than that, the things that really excite me about the Golden State are the odd little everyday things--liquor in the grocery stores, reasonable speed limits (65--and sometimes 70--instead of 60) on the freeways, and reasonable access to my favorite scrapbook stores.

Okay, Okay, I'm Sooo Obnoxious

So here I am at Starbucks, blogging, when the cell phone rings, and it's Heather, returning a call I made to her yesterday. She's having a party this afternoon to welcome her cousin's little boy to California. It's the first time Heather has met him, and she couldn't be more excited.

So as we chatted, as we do, of course, our voices got louder and faster. And the guy at the table next to mine gestured at me with his hand to quiet down. At least I think that's what he was doing. Maybe he was practicing his sock puppeteering hand position. I don't really know.

But I did feel a little bit embarassed at being that obnoxious slob in the restaurant, sharing her phone conversation with the whole world. But seeing as how I'm a first-time offender, perhaps I can get a lighter sentence??

Cute Little Piggies
These little piggies recently had their first-ever pedicure. Heather and I had spa pedis done on Seattle, and two weeks later, the polish is still there--not chipped, not flaking, but covering my cute little toes. I am seriously considering getting another pedi in a week or two, and a manicure, too. I'm hooked!

Oy! It's Noon!

I have hair to style, war paint to apply (makeup) and things to do before heading down the highway to Sacramento for the party. Better get on it.

Cheers!

Meg

No comments: