Thursday, April 13, 2006

Identity Crisis

One of my sixth grad students came into my room at lunch today, eating ice cream. I remarked that she and her friends eat horribly and she said, "Nuh-uh!! This is the first time I've had chocolate in a month, 'cause I've been on a diet. I'm fat."

She is not fat.

I told her this, in no uncertain terms, and reminded her that extreme dieting while she's still growing is bad for her. Apparently, her parents have been saying the same thing. She'll believe it...eventually.

Anyway, her worries about her body got me thinking--and laughing--about something funny that happened yesterday.

I logged into myspace yesterday to check for messages, and I had a new friend request. Wondering if it was some long-lost compadre from high school or uni, I eagerly opened it up. It was a random guy I've never heard of, 20 years old, and a model. He had over 1,000 friends, mostly girls who could pass for Playboy Bunnies.

I just laughed that this guy is requesting to be "friends" with anyone and everyone, and promptly clicked, "deny."

A little while later, I had another request. I opened it up to find a guy who's friends list is filled with girls who are more like me--not so skinny, big-busted, with plenty of junk in the trunk, etc.

Now I was really laughing. Two completely different guys with different preferences in women, both requesting little old me to be their "friend." The guy with lots of big-girl friends had also written me a message, telling me I'm beautiful and I should be a model. Oh, and he's married.

My response, after laughing at the irony of it all? "Deny."

I'll just be friends with people who aren't all about adding as many cute girls as they can to their friends list!

No comments: