Friday, April 28, 2006

Fourteen-Fifty-Two

That's 1,452. As in words.

Here is my assignment, should I choose to accept it:

Final Examination
Choose either Option 1 or Option 2

Option One: Students completing a minimum 1500 word final examination essay, have the opportunity to earn a maximum score of 10, AND A "B" GRADE.

Option Two: Students completing a minimum 3500 word final examination essay, have the opportunity to earn a maximum score of 23 AND AN "A" GRADE.

Final Examination Question: Reflecting on the required readings, write a reflective essay on Science and Mathematics Education for today and tomorrow for the students you are/will teach. Always having the California Math and Science Standards in mind, consider how you will set up your classroom to teach science and mathematics, what types of materials you will use, and how you will assess each student's development in these two critical areas.

The Final Examination Essay is due and is to be submitted via the view/complete link below not later than midnight, Saturday of Week 4.



Of course, I have no choice but to accept it, as I really want to pass this class and move on to getting my multiple subject credential. Oh, and I'm going for the A, of course.

So here I am, at 9:15 on Friday night. Other 27-year-old gals might be out dancing and partying. I am sitting here in my pajamas, with Harry Wong's "How to be an Effective Teacher: The First Days of School" and Carolyn Evertson's (et al) "Classroom Management For Elementary Teachers" open in front of me, and several windows open on my computer so I can get quotes from various class readings we had this month.

It's not a hard assignment really (I can just hear all the "Yeah, right...not hard my ass, Megs..." out there, but really, it isn't). It just takes a good knowledge of fancy-schmancy educational jargon, like:

1. "Prior knowledge"
2. "Building blocks"
3. "Content Standards"
4. "State Framework"
5. "Instructional Materials"
6. "Instructional Strategies"
7. "Assessment Strategies"
8. "Limited English Proficiency" (LEP)

...and so on.

Take all these fancy terms and mix them up with quotes from the reading and my own opinions and interpretations, and voila! You've got a paper. Believe me, these assignments are much easier now that I've actually been in the classroom than they were five years ago when I was working towards my music credential.

Just a little snippet of something I've written (these are my own words):

Of course, in any subject, textbooks are an important instructional material. Often this is the one resource that is used in every lesson. It is important, then, to make sure that the class text fulfills certain criteria as laid out by the State Science Framework. These criteria are listed for science resources; however, they can and should be applied to instructional materials in all subject areas.


Hey, I never said I was Shakespeare...

Cheers,

Little Miss Hope It's Finished Soon (Better Stop Wasting Time)

No comments: