Sunday, March 19, 2006

Good Luck, Bill Lester

Today marks the first time in 20 years that an African-American will start a race in the premiere NASCAR series. Bill Lester qualified 19th for today's race in Atlanta, GA.

There have been starts by African Americans in the Truck Series and the "minor league" Busch Series, but in Nextel Cup (the former Winston Cup) Series, it has been an astounding 20 years since Willy T. Ribbs ran in a race at Michigan.

What is really astounding is that this hasn't been Big News from the track. I can't find much mention of it on NASCAR's official site or the various message boards I frequent. Fox did an interview with Bill Lester this morning, and that was the first time I realized that he was starting today's race.

I personally think it's awesome news. One reason is that NASCAR has a reputation as being the "Southern Good Ole Boy" sport. I know most of my friends were surprised as hell when I first started watching, and many still scratch their heads over my devotion to a sport where people camp out at the track all weekend with Confederate flags waving above their RVs (I'm still opposed to the Confederate flag as a symbol, but that's another story for another blog). I am about as Southern as I am a bunny rabbit. The closest I've been to being in the South is Disney World in Florida and the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

Of course, there is also the opportunity to provide another role model for some of the African American children out there who need one. There have been some amazing role models out there--Michael Jordan immediately comes to mind--but there have also been some not-so-great role models, especially as players in the NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball (and I'm talking all races, here) seem to become more and more corrupted by the huge paychecks they receive. NASCAR drivers tend to be, as a whole, a little bit more wholesome and down-to-earth than other atheletes. They are not perfect, but the sport does seem to inspire more of a "family" image. Most drivers are 100% devoted to family, team and racing, if a weekly column at nascar.com is any indication.

Some articles are asking if Bill Lester should be such a big story today. At first, I agreed, but then I read the following quote from the article linked above:

"I look forward to the day when we're not having to talk about it and about what Bill Lester did,'' said driver Jeff Burton. "That's when we know we're where we need to be. But we've got to be here first and it's good that we're here."


This is true--and while we're here, it's heart-warming to read about the support Lester is receiving from his fellow drivers.

So good luck, Bill Lester. I wish you all the best today.



"For me, racing on the big stage is exciting. My goal for tomorrow is to go 500 miles, to add knowledge to my database and earn the respect of my competitors."

No comments: