Wednesday, December 14, 2005

'Tis the Season to Belt it Out at the Top of Your Lungs

I've been thinking recently about my favorite Christmas songs...every time I put in some time at Mervyn's, I realize that there are certain songs I could live without. I'm also introduced to songs that make my head hurt (for example, "Back Door Santa"--I'm not kidding).

Because I'm subjected to some pretty awful Christmas music when I'm working, I really appreciate the good stuff, so I decided to compile my Top Ten list of Christmas songs.

10. "Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays" by *NSYNC -- Yes, it's a boy band. Yes, I loved them back in '98 (and yes, I was in college then). This is a fun song, though. Really upbeat and peppy. Always makes me sing along, and do the stupid hand gesture when they sing, "Feel the love in the room from the floor to the ceiling."

9. Oh Holy Night -- This song is absolutely gorgeous, and one that must be sung beautifully. No jazzing it up, please. No rocking it out. Just sing it straight and pure; it needs to frou-frou added to it.

8. Adeste Fidelis -- Sang this in college choir and I love it. First off, singing in Latin is fun (...when you're a music geek, anyway) and secondly, this song is really cool, even for the not-so-religious among us.

7. "Rusty Chevrolet" by Yoopers Da -- I really need to find it on CD. The oldies station in Sacramento plays it every year but I haven't heard it up here yet. Every time I heard it in my car, I would crank it up and sing along. Who wouldn't? It's a classic. Case in point:

RUST AND SMOKE THE HEATER'S BROKE
THE DOOR JUST BLEW AWAY
I LIGHT A MATCH TO SEE THE DASH
AND THEN I START TO PRAY
THE FRAME IS BENT THE MUFFLER WENT
THE RADIO IT'S OK
OH WHAT FUN IT IS TO DRIVE
THIS RUSTY CHEVROLET


6. Carol of the Bells -- Beautiful piece of music. When sung by top-notch singers, it is enough to give me goosebumps. Otherwise, "Gaily they ring" becomes more nightmarish than can be borne.

5. "Sleigh Ride" (Instrumental version) by Leroy Anderson -- This is a CLASSIC Christmas song if you've ever been a band nerd, which, of course, I have. I don't know how many Decembers found me playing this song but I never stopped loving it and being happy to play it again. From the jaunty melody to the whip-crack and horse-neighing sound effects, it is a lovely, lovely piece.

4. "Little Saint Nick" by the Beach Boys -- California Surfin' Christmas Fun. That about sums it up. I grew up listening to the Beach Boys Christmas selection because my Mom has been a big fan since she was, oh, sixteen or so. But this song is by far their best Christmas song.

3. "(It Must Have Been Ol') Santa Claus" by Harry Connick, Jr. -- This man is not only sexy as all get-out, but he can sing. And this song is adorable. I can just picture straight-outta-the-Swing-Era Harry at his piano, big grin on his face, singing how Santa took him from his bedroom one night to go on a fantastic sleigh ride.

2. "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole -- I love this song anyway, but this version is by far the best of any of them.

1. "All I Want for Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey -- A year ago this week, I belted out this classic at the St. Peter's Christmas Karaoke. It was a blast--I really wowed the kids and my co-teachers. Every time I hear it, I smile.


And, because I can't come up with Top 10s for movies and TV specials (I don't have that many favorites!), I'll list my favorite in each category...

Movie: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (a family tradition in my house).

TV Special: If you can't guess the answer to this one, you don't know me very well...

No comments: