Thursday, October 20, 2005

Too Much Internet Time...

Letting Go of the California Girl

I drove to the Poulsbo department of licensing yesterday, armed with my California license and the $20 Dad had told me the written test would cost. Turns out I was short one form of identification and 25 bucks.

So I went back today and forked over my passport and $45. I was fully ready to take the written test (Mom and Dad had to when they moved here) but they just clicked my picture, had me sign a card, and scanned a nifty little cardboard license that will work until I get the real one in the mail.

And the picture is even better than my previous license. : )

What I'm Wondering About This Week

Besides how much my first Mervyn's paycheck will bring to my nearly-empty coffers.

Right, seeing as I'm conserving money, gasoline and frantically trying to plan weeks and weeks' worth of lessons (once they really get me working at Mervyn's, count on me having a LOT less computer time), I have been spending a lot of time at the computer, with the World Wide Weird at my fingertips.

Anyway, I've been wondering about Harriet Miers.

I came across an interesting article from the Guardian (UK newspaper) about how Miers has to rewrite her answers to what is usually a formality--a questionnaire on her background and opinions.

I'm not interested in political lines. I have my liberal views, and I have my conservative views. I'm about as straight-down-the-middle, spare-me-the-partisan-crap-and-just-give-me-facts as you can get. My faithful blog readers know where my heart lies when it comes to our current administration. That doesn't matter. I just find it very interesting that both Democrats and Republicans think Miers' answers to the questionnaire are "insufficient" and "incomplete to insulting."

Even conservative women are keeping a "deafening silence" on Miers until they know more.

Just makes me wonder...

Also Wondering...What'd He Do With the Animals?

I've heard of trying to get out of jury duty, but this is a bit OTT (Over the Top).

Other Tidbits From My Second-Favorite British Newspaper (The Independent)

My favorite being The Economist.

"Women are crap," says ad guru

"The assertion from a man who says he is ever-conscious of his own "brand" did not go without response from female colleagues. Nancy Vonk, co-chief creative officer at the WPP subsidiary Ogilvy in Toronto, said that while she felt "honoured" he counted her among his friends, her esteem had its limits."

Homer becomes Omar for Arab makeover of Simpsons

"Omar may look the same as in the series that debuted in 1987, but he has swapped Duff beer for soft drinks; no longer hangs out at "seedy bars with bums and lowlifes" - Moe no longer owns a bar - and eats barbequed Egyptian beef sausages instead of non-Halal hotdogs. He even grazes on Arab kahk cookies in place of doughnuts."

Writing, Writing, Writing

You may have noticed I've been updating a lot this week. I have really felt like writing. As I have no solid ideas, I've been randomly commenting on articles and other stuff I find on the Internet. It's kind of fun for me. I am looking for a Big Idea and exploring the possibility of incorporating more writing into my life/career. I've always enjoyed it.

Bella and Duchess

Babies are fine. They seem to be healing nicely after their big operation on Tuesday. If playfulness is any indication, they're back to normal, aside from having bald tummies and a few stitches. Right now Duchess is sitting at the top of the stairs (I can see her from here), with her tail daintily wrapped around her body and her hair sticking up at all angles. We call her a "Fuzz Explosion." She has taken to me...which I don't mind, except that it kind of pushes Millie away. She'll be cuddling with me and BAM! A kitten lands on her.

It's not easy being a big sister.

That's All Folks

For tonight, anyway.

Cheers,

Meg

No comments: