Thursday, September 22, 2005

Unemployed No Longer

I got thinking yesterday as I drove home from a successful interview at the local Mervyn's...

I've been having a major identity crisis these last couple of months. Think about it: The California Girl moves to small-town England, loves the people, hates the job. Moves home except that home is no longer California but Washington, a state that All-American Anglophile has spent about 4 days of her total life in.

My driver's license says California. My address and car tags say Washington. My bank account is English.

I still wobble between English English and American English. I still miss Burnham-on-Crouch. And to top it off, unemployment for the foreseeable future loomed. Even the video store wasn't interested!!

Just goes to show, when it rains, it pours. Yesterday I interviewed at Mervyn's and was promptly offered a job, providing I successfully prove I'm not a drug user. After the interview I went to Poulsbo Police to get fingerprinted for my teaching certificate.

Today I had an interview of sorts at the local school district. They need someone to cover 6th grade choir for the rest of the school year. It's only one period a day, but with subbing (especially once cold/flu season is in full effect), I'd be working a lot.

So I went over to meet the middle school principal and she asked if I can start on Monday! I said, "Yes!" I have a key to the choir room (I will just add here that the school has an incredible music wing...beautiful facilities) and everything!

They will have to put a Washington-certified teacher in with me to start, until my own certification is finished. But they are so excited to have a qualified musician, they are willing to do this, and to help me speed up the process. Having three years of previous experience is helpful in this situation. Basically all I have to do is prove I'm not a criminal (hence the fingerprinting). Fantastic.

As I drove home I cranked the music up in the car and let out a squeal and a very girly, very high-pitched, "I'm going to teach again!!!"

It was only after this little outburst that I realized that I am truly, sincerely, happy to be going back into the classroom. And that, my friends, after everything I've gone through in the last year, is the best news of all.

No comments: