Friday, September 02, 2005

Electric Personality

A few days ago, Mom and Dad and I went to Petsmart to get some accessories for our new kitties. As we walked in, I set off the alarm.

It's odd and kind of embarassing to set it off when leaving the store, but coming in?

Dad laughed and said, "It's your electric personality." I put the experience out of my mind.

Today I went out on my own, to that Old Navy I found in Silverdale (see previous blog post) and as I left the store, I set off the alarm. Gah! This was pretty embarassing because I had been looking around for a while, I had tried some things on, but I hadn't bought anything. I went over to an employee and told her this happened to me a few days ago, etc. She laughed and said, "You're fine--thanks for letting me know, though." I suppose she realized that if I'd been shoplifting, I would not have stopped.

So I drove over to Kitsap Mall and walked into Mervyn's--and immediately set off the alarm. I stopped in my tracks, said, "Oh, for heaven's sake!" and made a couple of ladies shopping nearby laugh. "Third time this week that's happened!" The ladies offered their sympathy, and we all went on our way.

By this point, I was red-faced and feeling like everyone must think I'm some kind of kleptomaniac. Shopping wasn't much fun now, but I needed to go into the mall for some things. I approached a young man working in the Mervyn's jewelry counter and said, "Right. I'm going to walk out in to the mall. I've been setting alarms off for some reason. I think it's my purse." The guy said, "It could be a tag in your purse, or have you bought new jeans lately?"

Hmmm.

As a matter of fact...

I made it out of Mervyn's without setting off the bells and whistles--not to mention that horrible automated woman's voice that advises you to go to the nearest checkout clerk to get the crap beat out of you. I made a beeline for the ladies' and walked into a stall.

I remembered that in the other new pair of jeans I bought a few weeks ago, there was a tag up near the zipper that you're supposed to take out. I had not seen one in the 2nd pair of jeans (the ones I was wearing today). I searched a bit and sure enough, there was the tag--halfway down my thigh on the outside seam of my right leg.

Who is gonna see that?!?

I ripped that sucker out and got on my merry way. The good news: I set off no more alarms the rest of the day. I went to J.C. Penney's, Target and Wherehouse, and no problems whatsoever.

The bad news: I guess I don't have an electric personality after all.

No comments: