Friday, September 09, 2005

Certification Process and Masked Bandits

First, I have to share this (blurry-sorry!) pic of the Millikins and Bella:

[No longer available]

Everyone is getting along pretty well, though Maggie basically ignores everyone and keeps to herself.

Now, the other news:

I've been busily filling out some paperwork today for my WA State certificate. It's like any other application for any other teaching certificate: Name, date of birth, Social Security Number, promise of first-born child, etc. This one also includes (this made me laugh, actually), the question, "In the past 10 years, have you ever engaged in any conduct which resulted in the damage or destruction of property? (For purposes of questions 2 and 3, property includes both real and personal property owned by you or another. Do not list damages done as the result of an automobile accident.)"

Okay...well, if you really take this literally, then I'm sure I have. I've accidentally dropped a glass in Mom's kitchen. Hell, for that matter, probably even in my own kitchen, when I had one. There's also that bottle of salad dressing (mine) that shattered all over Kathy and Derek's counter and floor. I am constantly engaging in klutzy behavior, so, yes, I have, in the last 10 years, done things which resulted in damage to property--my own and others'.

Thankfully, I am 98% sure that the application does not refer to general klutzy behavior, but that of malicious intent. Whew!

At some point, I decided a quick break was in order, so I went downstairs to make a nice cup of tea (side note: I found Tetley "British Blend" at Safeway the other day--same flavor as the stuff I drank in England. Bliss!!). I was waiting for the water to boil when Mom said, "There's a raccoon on the porch! Wait--there's two!"

I walked over to the door, and sure enough, there was a masked bandit, staring back at me. Our presence at the windows made them a bit nervous, so both raccoons went back down the steps to the bark below.

I crept outside onto the deck to watch them, and they sat and stared warily at me before turning to climb down the rocks onto a trail behind and below our property. Then I noticed a third one. They crept into some bushes and I went back inside. Couple minutes later...

"Hey! They're back!"

All three of us crept outside this time. This made them quite nervous, so they climbed back down the rocks and sat on the trail staring up at us. Dad started throwing some stale bread down and they happily went for that.

I have a feeling we're going to be seeing more raccoons when word get out that Doug's Diner has great service.

We stood and watched them for a while, enjoying them. We think they're a mama and two yearlings. They're quite sweet, though. Well, to watch anyway. I wouldn't want to tangle with them!

I admit I'm really enjoying seeing the wildlife around here. They were here first and I respect that it's hard to make a living when you're a bird or a squirrel or a raccoon. We make efforts to coexist peacefully with them, and give them a wide berth to avoid anyone (human or animal) getting hurt.

In other news, I had a lovely (and too short!) chat with Kathy on the phone today. I called to ask if I can use her and Derek as character references on my certification application, and we chatted for 20 minutes--all that was left on my calling card. It was lovely to catch up and hear the gossip from St. Peter's (more of what I was used to).

That said, I feel like working on my scrapbook. Off I go!

Cheers,

Meg

No comments: