Wednesday, August 24, 2005

To My English Family

Note: I'm feeling a lot less sad now. Bella and Duchess make me laugh, and Millie has been Little Miss Cuddles, so it's impossible to stay down in the dumps.

Well, I commemorated the one-year anniversary of leaving, now I must commemorate something even more important.

One year ago today, after an overnight flight, a trek across London, and a train ride into unfamiliar Essex, I pulled into Burnham Station and met Kathy and Derek.

By this point in time, I had gone more than 24 hours with no sleep. It had been 24 hours since my last shower. I had hauled two massive suitcases across London and Essex county. I was exhausted, sweaty, smelly, greasy, my jeans were filthy and I was very close to falling asleep on the train.

This was their first impression of me.

Later in the school year, Kathy would reassure me that they didn't make their first impression of me based on how I appeared as I stepped of the train. They knew it had been a long haul for me.

But on that sunny afternoon, one year ago today, I met two total strangers who had agreed to let me stay in their home. All of us took a big chance. I might have been a horrible tenant. They might have been horrible landpeople.

But, as all of you who read this blog know, that didn't happen. We got along great from day one. I think I knew we would when I saw the healthy, happy, spoiled-rotten pets of the household, and Kathy's amazing book collection.

Throughout my year in England, Kathy and Derek were much more than the people I rented a room from. They became my English family, always supportive and caring and helpful. From picking up a pint of milk for me while at the co-op, to helping me learn the linguistic English-isms, to listening to me vent about the students on a bad day, Kathy and Derek were the best support I could have asked for.

I cannot stress enough how much I appreciate everything they did for me. They welcomed me into thier home at a time when I needed that kind of connection. Because of them, my transition into English life was easier.

So today, I raise my glass to Kathy and Derek. Thank you for everything.

Cheers!

No comments: