Thursday, July 21, 2005

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (Ahh, Travel)

I suppose news has reached you all of the second round of bombs in London yesterday. I'm a little vague on the details but it did not escape my notice that the targets were three Tube trains and a London bus.

Crazy...

It changes my plans a little bit. Kathy had the idea of me getting a taxi from Burnham to Heathrow on the 5th, and I've decided to do it. I am not bowing to the terrorists of the world. I am not afraid to go into London. What scares me is the thought of being stranded at Paddington Station with 600 pounds of luggage (and a clarinet to boot!), standing in front of a sign that says, "Sorry, the Heathrow Express is not running until further notice." I get vaguely nightmarish images in my head of every taxi in Central London either fleeing the city or being hired already, leaving me with two gigantic suitcases, stuck at a train station, missing my flight.

Not a pretty thought, therefore, taxi it is! I contacted a company yesterday and was told that I could get from Burnham to Heathrow for £130. When you consider what I would spend if I had to pay for a train, a taxi, spent two nights in a hotel, food and entertainment expenses, another taxi, and the Heathrow Express, I really come out on top financially.

Sad that we have to be cautious about travel these days, but I have to admit, I'm a bit relieved that the convenience of it all. I have a tremendous amount of crap to carry home!!

Right--I have some pics to share. I asked Dad to email me some pictures of my room. I was having a hard time "seeing" it in my head. I could have sworn that the closet was to the right of the door, but it's to the left. I forgot that there's a little alcove thingie. So Dad sent some great pics, and I thought I'd share them:

First, here's the house:


Here's the entrance to my room from the other side of the second floor, which consists of 1 bedroom (mine), an open room (Mom's craft room) and one bathroom:


This is from the doorway:


Some random pics:




The door in this one is to a huge storage room, where all the boxes that were in the garage at the Jobson Ct. house are now stored, along with a bunch of Mom and Dad's stuff. Beats an attic any day!!


The view from the window:


And an email full of pictures from Dad would not be complete without pictures of the World's Cutest Chef (looking a bit evil in this one):


Or the World's Cutest Couch Potato:




Now, I have a Friday to start!

Cheers,

Meg

No comments: