Friday, June 17, 2005

West Side Whaaa?

Part of the GCSE Music Syllabus is "Songs from Musicals." It's not heavy in the music theory, so I've been wracking my brains to find ideas on how to teach it to my year 10s. On Wednesday, one of them asked if we could watch a video of a musical. Great idea!

I think they had in mind something along the lines of Grease or Beauty and the Beast. They got West Side Story.

I'm just doing my duty--exposing young, tender minds to the greatness of Bernstein.

I have a feeling my year 10s are left a bit high and dry.

Okay, okay, the movie is a bit dated, and kids these days are not used to gang members singing and dancing through the alleys of New York City. And most kids these days would probably say, "Puerto What-o?"

Fair enough. But still, I feel it is my duty as a music teacher to expose them to this fantastic story (and it can't hurt their English grades to see Romeo and Juliet in a new light).

Oh well. They may not like it, but they're still gonna watch the whole thing.

Speaking of musicals...

Oh, those summer nights (Grease)

It's "Summer in England." Which means, to a California Girl, it's not really that hot. But it is humid. Oy vey! Get a bunch of sweaty year 9s in here (and my Friday classes seem to have more boys than girls), and we're talking hot, sweaty, smelly and not easy to teach in. No wonder they're all off the wall today. I have the windows cracked. I dare not open them more--they may try to escape (apparently, it happened last year. I will take no chances).

I get to trek to the co-op after school. I figure my reward is that the rest of the weekend (it's supposed to be hot and muggy and gross) I will stay indoors with my nose in a book. Woohoo!!

Speaking of books...

You simply must read I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. It's set in the 30s, about a family who lives in a run-down old castle, in extreme poverty. It is funny, warm, sad at parts, and impossible to put down. I admit, I wasn't all that keen to read it but Kathy told me I had to try it. And I love it! I sat at Parents Evening last night longing to stick my nose back in this book. I'm almost finished, and I plan to start one by Bill Bryson (travel writer and absolutely hysterical and entertaining) when I do.

Right. Twenty minutes left of lunch and then adventures with Friday Five. They're not really my least favorite class anymore, but it's not as though I really look forward to them, either. I do have one good thing to say for them, though--they're a great workout.

: )

And I still have an aide in here with me, which is fantastic. Mandy is wonderful--so patient and supportive. Sometimes we just look at each other and laugh. That's all you can do.

So, my friends, have a lovely weekend. I hope it provides some lazy time for you (as mine will).

Cheers,

Meg

No comments: