Monday, June 13, 2005

The Joy of Cover

Each week I have to do one cover lesson in addition to the 19 lessons of music on my own timetable. This is because a) the school is too cheap to hire supply teachers and b) the limited few available tend to run screaming from this place.

Well, actually the school isn't that cheap. But it is hard to find cover staff to come in.

So it falls on the staff of St. Peter's to cover lessons for colleagues who are sick, injured, on courses, etc. This is why I often feel guilty taking a sick day--because I know my poor colleagues, all, as I am, over-worked, will have to shoulder my lessons.

Anyway, I can always count on having cover on a Monday, as it is the day I have 4 free periods.

Today I have drawn a cover for a PE teacher, year 7 class. I have the 9 "non-doers" behind me in my classroom. "Non-doers" are the kids who for whatever reason, cannot dress down and participate in the day's physical activity.

So they are "non-doing" in my classroom. They are supposed to be writing down all the rules of rounders, whatever those are. Mostly they're just being irritating.

But no worries, I at least have the comforts of my classroom (namely my computer, which I cannot live without).

The Royal Ballet

Fantastic!

I opted to sleep in on Saturday and catch the later train to London, so no Meg's Tour. I arrived at the Royal Opera House a little over an hour before the performance was due to start, and had a steak lunch at a posh restaurant there.

The dancers were, of course, top-notch. The only disappointment is that Carlos Acosta was not dancing due to injury. I would have loved to see him live, but alas, it was not meant to be. Of course, I was still watching some of the best in the world, and the music was lovely.

The rest of my weekend was mostly lazy.

So, doing a tally, I realize that I've seen Christian Slater on stage, the Lion King, the Royal Ballet, and Kevin Spacey (four times!!)

Not bad, not bad...

No comments: