Monday, February 14, 2005

A Cosmopolitan on Ice, Please...

I have a feeling it's just going to be one of those weeks. It always is, right before a school break.

Reports

Next week is half-term break. A whole week off! I am going to York for three nights and I look forward to seeing it. Of course, that means getting through this week in one piece.

Turns out they've just told us last Wednesday we have to complete year 7, 8, and 9 reports this week. They gave us a week for years 7 and 8, and a week and two days for year 9. I teach 17 classes in these three year groups. Approximately 25 kids in each group.

Yeah. Guess who's going to be spending a lot of time in the computer lab?

I don't mind doing it but it's going to take a lot of my personal time because I can't use all of my free periods doing this. Of course, tonight we have all kinds of faculty meetings, so can't do it then.

Luckily I've got a teeny little stash of vodka and cranberry juice at home for emergencies!

Of course, I should have technically started these last Wednesday but I have no free periods on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. And after school on Wednesday, I was teaching my year 11s. On Thursday after school, we had parent evening for the Sixth Form. And I was NOT spending my Friday evening doing reports!! So here I am on Monday. At least the year 7 and 8 ones (the ones due Wednesday) are quick and easy to fill out, and on the year 9 reports I can do a lot of copy/paste. Still, it's one more thing to do when I barely have time to breathe.

And it's one more thing they threw on us last-minute.

Raining on my Parade

I have a story that I'm now laughing at. At the time, I was a bit, well, exasperated.

Went to London on Saturday. I adore London (as we all know). I had an appointment at Boots (the Chemist) for contact lenses. I got all of that done, did a bit of shopping, then found myself at the entrance to Kensington Gardens. "Great!" I thought. "I haven't been here in six years!" So I went inside and walked 10-15 minutes to the Round Pond. It was a glorious sunny afternoon (though cold) and I could see the shoots of daffodils coming up.

By the time I reached the Round Pond, it was clouding over and I felt a few sprinkles on my face. "No problem," I thought. "I have my umbrella."

And, in typical English fashion, it started to pour.

And the wind came up.

I got out my flimsy, wimpy, useless, going-in-the-bin umbrella and made a mad dash for the edge of the park and (hopefully) a warm, dry pub.

By the time I reached the edge of the park (10-15 minutes later), I was soaked from the knees down and feeling a bit soggy in spirits, as well.

And then the rain stopped. And the sun came back out.

This is such and English thing!

"Bad Luck"

Another story I can't help but laugh about...after the fact.

I went to the co-op yesterday, my traditional Sunday trip. I had a bit of a heavy load and was feeling it in my hands as I walked up Southminster Road towards home. We had a strong wind coming in from the North, and I was heading, you guessed it, due North.

I figured that I'd make it home in one piece--it's only a 15-minute walk from co-op to home. I didn't figure that one of my bags would break. While I was crossing the semi-busy Southminster Road. Or that my onions (three of 'em) would go rolling into the muddy gutter.

So there I am, two bags of groceries and some flowers I'd bought for Kathy on the sidewalk and me in the road, picking up milk, bell peppers and onions.

I noticed an older English gentleman approaching and I smiled to myself, thinking, "The English are always so helpful in these situations..."

And this polite individual walks up to me, smiles and says, "Bad luck!" and keeps on walking.

I took great pleasure in giving him the finger behind his back.

The good news is, I made it home in once piece (even if one of my shopping bags did not) and later on my muddy little onions got cleaned up, chopped up and put into some delicious "Chilli a la Mommy."




And that, my friends, is all for now.

Cheers!

Meg

1 comment:

Sassy Shae said...

MEG! I hope you're having a great time in York! Did it snow?