Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Happiness is...

Buying groceries online after a loooooooooong day. : )

Truly a long day.

My school is in Special Measures. In other words, "shape up or the senior staff must ship out." Yeah. It's not a good thing.

It's not the fault of our current head teacher, David. He's only been here since January, and he inherited this school's mess. Previous heads have not done as well as David (thankfully) seems to be doing.

Anyway, it's been two days of inspections. Three government employees came to our school to make sure we're doing everything we should.

The good news? They think we'll work our way out of specail measures by the Summer term.

The bad news? Everyone's been so freakin' stressed! Not I, really. I refused to get my blood pressure up over something I have no control over. But the stress and hyperactivity of others has worn off on me, and it's quite wearing.

So it's been a hectic and crazy start to my week. And tomorrow promises to be more fun, as I face down my first two classes: two groups of year nines that make my hair stand on end. Oy vey. Well, at least I can send some of them out.

For the record, I'm not the only person at this school who has problems with these kids. I've talked to other teachers who have basically given up.

Anyway, I'm tired today, and getting a bit of a cold, so here I sit, shopping for groceries online. Kathy, my landlady, has Tesco deliver stuff each week. She invited me to put my own stuff on and pay her for my share. Delivery is only 5 quid! Not bad. Saves me a trip to the co-op, and Tesco online has a good selection of stuff so I can make chicken enchilada casserole tomorrow night. Yay! I'm missing Mexican food.

Not much else going on. On Saturday, I might sit on a float that the 6th form is putting in the Burhnam Carnival. : D

I might also go back to London. The Imperial War Museum is FANTASTIC and I want to spend a good half day wandering there. As it's only £12 round trip on the train, and the museum is free...well, not a bad deal, eh? Besides, I've been really into WWII history lately and the IWM has terrific D-Day and Holocaust exhibits.

That's all for now. I've just finished shopping. Tomorrow a Tesco truck will deliver the groceries to our door. Lovely!

Cheers,

Meg

No comments: